- 1.5 oz of fresh yeast
- 1.5 oz of milk
- 8.5 oz of bread flour
- 1 oz of butter
- 3 oz of sugar
- Zest of half an orange
- 2 medium eggs
- 0.1 oz of ground cardamom
The recipe for Greek Easter sweet bread is a braided bread that incorporates eggs as a symbol of resurrection, whether of Christ for believers or either of spring and thus, life after winter wilderness.
If this year you want to surprise your godchildren with a slightly exotic mona because in ReciKia we present this. The eggs were traditionally painted red and a difficult kind of get called Maleph is incorporated.
See how to make Easter Greek sweet bread:
1. In bowl put 1.5 oz of fresh yeast with the milk and stir well with a wooden spoon until dissolved. Then add 1.5oz of flour and re-mix well. This is our starting mass, which will allow to ferment for 30 minutes until it is full of bubbles, also a symbol of life, indeed.
2. While our dough starter is prepared, melt butter in a saucepan and add the sugar. Mix well and remove from heat. Then add orange zest and re-mix, to the above mixture add, in this order, egg, cardamom and stir.
3. To the mass starter add 7 oz of bread flour and the mixture. Mix the whole and obtain a mass that you have to knead, but first let rest 10 minutes.
4. Put it in the mixer with the dough hook for 20 minutes, or by hand until dough is elastic, get to a bowl and let stand covered 1 hour.
5. Then knead and divide into 3 pieces. Stretch portions hands, rotating them until they have a size of 9 27⁄32in. And began to make the braid. In between put raw eggs, weigh 1 hour and a half or 2, until doubled in volume. After elevating, brush with beaten egg and bake in a preheated oven at 430 – 350°F for 15-minutes.
Alright, we finish to make Easter Greek sweet bread recipe, now its time to eat and delight.