- For the marzipan:
- 8.5 oz of ground almonds
- 8.5 oz of white sugar
- 2 beaten eggs
- Almond essence
- For the cake:
- 9 oz of margarine
- 9 oz of soft brown sugar
- 4 beaten eggs
- 12 oz of raisins
- 1.8 oz of cherry pastry
- Apricot jam
- Mixed spice
- Grated rind of one lemon
The Simnel Cake is the typical Easter cakes in England. It’s a cake with fruit and marzipan, traditionally adorned with 11 balls marzipan representing 11 apostles of Jesus unless Judas. I put little eggs chocolate instead of balls because they like more children. And I put 12 because at home we decided that if Jesus was able to forgive Judas, why we not!
See how to make Easter simnel Cake:
1. First the marzipan is made. Ground almonds with white sugar are mixed and then added little by little beaten eggs until a moldable mass of marzipan is formed. Half reserves, and extends the other half until you have more or less the shape of the mold that you will use for the cake.
2. Oiled pan and the oven starts to heat up to 285°F.
3. Sugar with margarine is mix and add and mix the other ingredients in this order: eggs, gradually, flour and spices, raisins and chopped cherries, grated lemon peel.
4. Half the mixture into the mold is sets. The layer of marzipan we have previously extended is then placed. On top of this, the rest of the pie dough.
5. It is placed in the oven for an hour and 15 minutes. To check that is done is put a skewer into the center comes out clean the cake is ready.
6. Remove and place it to cool on a rack.
7. After it has cool, a thin layer of apricot jam and above this, the rest of marzipan extends. The jam acts as glue.
8. Decorate as you want.
Alright, we finish to make Easter simnel Cake recipe, now its time to eat and delight.