- 4.5 lbs of beef shoulder blade or boneless beef shoulder
- 3 packets of dried corn maize
- 4 dried broad chilies
- 1 fluid ounces vegetable oil
- 1 oz of Flour
- 8.5 fluid ounces of beef broth
- 3.5 oz of cumin seed
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 7 oz of fresh oregano, chopped
- 3.5 oz of chili powder
- White vinegar
- 1.5 lbs of butter
- A pinch of salt
- 5 lbs of corn flour
This easy recipe is to prepare some delicious beef tamales so that you can enjoy with your family or friends at the Christmas dinner to surprise them with something different. This recipe is fabulous because you can adapt it with different ingredients to vary a little without getting tired of eating tamales.
See how to make these easy beef tamales:
1. Place the meat and garlic in a large pot.
2. Add enough cold water and let it boil over high heat.
3. As soon as you boil, reduce the heat to low and cover the pot.
4. Let it cook for 3½ hours, until the meat has softened.
5. Remove the meat, strain the broth and reserve 5 cups.
6. Wait for the meat to cool and thaw.
7. Meanwhile, place the corn leaves in a large container and cover with warm water.
8. Let soak for 3 hours, until soft and supple.
9. You can put something heavy on the leaves to soak them well.
10. Toss the broad chilies in a frying pan or cast iron, making sure not to burn them.
11. Let cool and remove stems and seeds.
12. Grind in food processor.
13. Heat the oil in a large skillet.
14. Add the flour and let it lightly brown.
15. Pour 1 cup of beef stock and stir until homogeneous. Add the chilies, cumin, chopped garlic, oregano, broken chile, vinegar and salt.
16. Add crumbled beef and lid. Let cook for 45 minutes over low heat.
17. Place the lard and salt in a large bowl. Beat with electric mixer at high speed until fluffy.
18. Add cornmeal and beat speed mix well. Slowly pour the 5 cups of the liquid in which the meat was cooked until a slightly damp mass is obtained.
19. Drain the water from the corn leaves. Open one at a time with the tip facing up and about 2 tsp of the dough into 2/3 of the leaf.
20. Place 1 tsp of meat in the center of the dough. Close it crosswise and finally bend the tip.
21. Moor with papery or strips of corn leaves.
22. Place the tamales in the steamer with sufficient boiling water and cook for about 1 hour, or until the dough is firm and maintains its shape.
23. Make sure the pot does not run out of water.
24. Serves immediately this beef tamales without developing. You can refrigerate or freeze the tamales you have left. Use a resealable plastic bag.