- 5 oz of semolina
- 5 oz of water
- 26.5 oz of semi skimmed milk
- 4.5 oz of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp of butter
- Skin of an orange
- 10 sheets of phyllo dough
- Melted butter
- 2 tsp of orange blossom water
- 2 tsp of lemon juice
- 2 tsp of honey
- 1 tsp of sugar
The last Greek recipe that left me Agata was this delicious tart Greek milk, also known as Galaktoboureko which is especially perfect for snack of children and assure you it is very rich.
See how to make Galaktoboureko or Greek milk cake:
1. Start putting the milk with orange skin and a couple of drops of vanilla essence over heat. We let boil up, and we add gradually, semolina, constantly stirring until form a cream with bechamel-like consistency. Boil for 15 minutes and finally, let cool for 5 minutes.
2. Furthermore, put in a bowl eggs, egg yolks and 4.5 oz of sugar and mix until fluffy.
3. Add the cream and mix. Add a tsp of melted butter, mix and remove the orange peel. We cover and let cool.
4. Meanwhile, put into a rectangular mold the philo dough, brushing each layer with melted butter. Cross phyllo dough sheets should excel all layers of the mold. Place, in total, 8 sheets of pasta.
5. Add the cream to the mold and smooth well.
6. We crossed the protruding parts on the cream and place over these last 2 philo dough sheets we had reserved, fold and brush with butter.
7. We carry to the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
8. After this time, we make shallow cuts in the dough shaping diamond, paint with water and put in the oven at 355°F for 40 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
9. While we have the cake in the oven syrup and prepare for it, put it in a saucepan the water, sugar, honey, cinnamon, 1 tsp of lemon juice and other orange blossom water. Cook until mixture thickens.
10. When the mixture is a very thick syrup, remove the pan from heat and add 1 tsp of lemon juice and one orange blossom water, let cool.
11. When the cake is golden brown, remove from the oven and generously paint with the syrup just to prepare.
12. Let cool completely before serving.
Alright, we finish to make Galaktoboureko or Greek milk cake recipe, now its time to eat and delight.