- 3 skinless chicken breasts
- juice of half lemon
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 6 oz flour
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 9 oz fresh bread crumbs
- olive oil for frying
Did you know that Southern food is also known as “Soul Food” and there’s even a movie theme is devoted to that name? Because it was illegal in many states that African slaves learned to read and write, recipes and culinary techniques of food “Soul Food” was transmitted only by word of mouth until the abolition of slavery. The first cookbook “Soul Food” is attributed to Abby Fisher and is titled “What Mrs. Fisher Knows About Old Southern Cooking” and was published in 1881 “Good Things to Eat” was published in 1911; its author, Rufus This was a former slave who worked in the service of the Pullman railway. Well, this recipe on how to make southern fried chicken is in honor of them.
See how to make southern fried chicken:
1. Cut the chicken breasts into long strips. Arrange on a platter and season with a little salt, a pinch of cayenne pepper and lemon juice. Allow to marinate.
2. Mix flour, paprika, oregano, a little salt and the rest of cayenne pepper in a bowl. Batter the meat with this mixture and shake to remove excess flour. Beat eggs with olive oil and 2 tablespoons of water.
3. Dip the chicken pieces in this mixture and then pass the bread crumbs, pressing so that it fits closely. Heat plenty of olive oil in a deep pan and fry the chicken in batches, until golden.
4. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel covered plate, to release the oil.
5. Serve the fried chicken accompanied by a nice salad. We suggest that you prepare tomato, red onion and aritos few capers. To dress it, you can use a basic vinaigrette of balsamic vinegar, salt and extra virgin olive oil.
Alright, we finish to make southern fried chicken, now its time to eat and delight.