- For marinating and cooking you will need:
- 6 large onions
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 ½ cups of high quality olive oil
- ½ cup of English sauce
- 6 to 8 tsp of coarse sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup of wine vinegar (or whatever you prefer)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Dry bay leaves (you can add the herbs to your liking)
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 lemon zest
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
When you have friends, family, guests at home hoping to enjoy a delicious Christmas meal, Pork shank may be your best choice. According to the number of diners prepare a marinated ham of 1,5 or 3 lbs of weight, and two more pieces in the same cooking batch. The ingredients are easy to get, and the technique of preparation of marinated pork shank that we will teach today is much easier than you suppose. Lets go cook!
See how to cook this Pork shank for a classic dinner like in Latinoamerican’s Christmas:
NOTE: To prepare a tasty marinated pork shank for about 20 diners you will need a leg of pork with bone of about 18 to 22 pounds. The average calculation is 10 to 15 oz of meat per person, but you must add the weight of bone and skin, which are not eaten; Remember that before the doubt always it is better to prepare of more and to freeze the leftovers.
Preparation of homemade pork shank
1. The first thing is to prepare the Pork shank marinade in several steps. Chop the peeled garlic cloves and mix with a little salt in a small bowl. Let it stand. Separate the onion, oil, the English sauce, pepper, vinegar, herbs or spices and orange juice in the blender jar. Already integrated, add the salt and garlic, and liquefy once more. Let it stand.
2. Using a sharp knife, and carefully, remove excess grease from the pork shank, wiping it off as much as you can. Insert the knife in the meat to create several incisions, somewhat deep, through which we insert the marinade. Already ready, rub all the ham with the lemon juice on all sides (you can wear gloves, it is better to do it directly with the hands and not with a brush). Let the surplus drain, and rub again with salt, massaging the meat.
3. Place the shank in a large bowl, where it fits comfortably but not over too much space, to optimize the cooking. Using spoons or the item that is most convenient, begin to insert the marinade through the incisions of the meat of the pork leg, distributing it as much as you can. The leftover can be rubbed over, at the end.
4. Already ready, covered with aluminum foil, closing well by the edges to leave a closed environment and to make a better cooking. Place in the refrigerator to macerate for not less than 4 hours, all night if you can. You can move the source from time to time, or remove the foil to “bathe” the marinated pork leg as you release juices and flavors.
Methods for cooking marinated pork shank
1. If you have mud oven, better. If not, you can cook your homemade pork shank in the oven in your kitchen. Preheat to 200°C / 400°F while removing the source from the refrigerator, so that it takes room temperature. When the oven is already warm, place the shank inside, covered with aluminum, for 40 to 50 minutes. After this time, you can remove the aluminum foil to brown the exterior of the meat and have a better presentation, or cook covered, both techniques with about 60 minutes more cooking.
2. The second method of cooking pork ham is to do it in a low oven 150°C / 300°F, calculating one hour of oven per 2 lbs of pork. For our piece of 13 to 18 lbs, the cooking will take up to 8 hours: have it planned to calculate your times well.
3. Ready, well scented and delicious, pass the cooked ham to another source, in which you go to serve and you can reheat in the oven, to let it rest an hour before cutting. Place the cooking juice in a saucepan, add a cup of red wine, a spoonful of English sauce and heat on the stove. Add a tsp (or as needed) of dissolved cornstarch in a little cold water, and add to the pot while stirring, to thicken and to make a delicious sauce that your guests can serve on your meat.
4. With this recipe you will be able to prepare the most tasty homemade marinated pork shank for any meeting, accompanying with breads or with these delicious homemade sauces, in a luxurious meal and with all the fun.
TIP: If you’re going to serve your homemade pork shank hot, the best is bathe it with the sauce made with the cooking juices.
5. If you still have time available you can cook this delicious Panforte as dessert and you will have an authentic international Christmas dinner.