- For the pie:
- 2 oz of pastry flour
- 3 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp of fine salt
- 2 oz of unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 2.5 oz of sugar
- For decoration:
- 7 oz of cream cheese
- 1.5 oz of powdered sugar
- black food coloring paste
Jack Skellington’s face is already an icon of Halloween and how good it has is its simplicity, because it allows us to almost use it in any recipe. A good example is this chocolate pie, very simple and very apparent.
The pie has little mystery, using a simple but tasty chocolate biscuit base and decoration with cream cheese. By the way, the lactose intolerant are in luck, more and more alternatives to cream cheese for us in the market. If you will not use dye to dye cheese could be used black melted chocolate.
See how to cook this spooky chocolate pie for Halloween:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F / 180°C and prepare a demontable round mold, of about 11 inch in diameter. Cover the bottom with parchment paper and grease the sides with butter or oil. Melt the butter and set aside.
2. Sift flour with cocoa powder and salt two or three times, to avoid lumps. Arrange the eggs with the sugar in a bowl and beat with wire whisk until double or triple its size. Add the flour with the cocoa and mix with rods by hand. Add the butter and vanilla, then mix gently.
3. Fill the mold, carefully break bubbles from the surface using a spatula and bake for about 20-25 minutes, until the puncture in the center with a toothpick comes out clean. Wait 10 minutes out of the oven, unmold and place upside down on a wire rack to cool.
4. Drain the liquid as possible cream cheese and beat with a whisk in a bowl. Add the sifted powdered sugar and beat until incorporate. When the pie is cool, have a round top layer without bringing the edges. Use a spatula to leave it smooth. Mix the remaining cheese with black coloring and drawing the face of Jack Skellington with a pastry bag.
Tasting the spooky chocolate pie
The Jack Skellington pie is perfect to have a fun detail for Halloween, without having to complicate too. It can be kept at room temperature in an airtight container best the day it has been baked, but it is preferibe store leftovers in the refrigerator.