- 2 and 1/4 of wheat flour
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 and 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 7 tsp of cold butter
- 1 cup of ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup of mixed candied fruit
- 1/2 cup of raisins
- 1/3 cup of sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp of lemon zest
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- Powdered sugar
The German Easter bread is served in Germany from the fourteenth century and varies by region in which it is prepared. It is called Stollen generically, or Christollen, but the name varies by region where preparation: Erzgebirge (“Erzgebirgischer Stollen”) in Bremen (“Bremer Klaben”) in Westphalia (Münsterländer Stollen), Erfurt (“Schittchen” ), among others. If you want you can check out his story here.
The base recipe is roughly the same, what varies is the filling and fruit used in their preparation. As I am a lover of simple but delicious recipes, I present this recipe, with which they can prepare delicious bread German Easter simple, perfect for those who have never made bread: for they contain yeast and its texture and flavor not far from the original .
See how to make Stollen or german Easter bread:
1. In a large bowl, combine sugar, baking powder and salt. Add 6 tsp of butter and blend until the texture is similar to small crumbs.
2. In a smaller bowl, combine the ricotta, candied fruits, raisins, almonds, vanilla, lemon zest, egg and yolk. Beat all until the mixture looks homogeneous.
3. On a floured surface (like your kitchen table) Knead the 2 mixtures together several times (at least 5 times), until the mixture does not stick too much of the fingers and look homogeneous.
4. Shape the dough into a loaf of about 10 inches long, place on a greased and floured pan. Bake at 350°F for 40-45 minutes or until you see is golden.
5. Melt the remaining butter and with the help of a pastry brush, paint the pan and brown. Place it in the oven a couple of minutes, then remove and cool on a rack.
6. Sprinkle with plenty of powdered sugar.
Alright, we finish to make Stollen or german Easter bread recipe, now its time to eat and delight.