- 1 turkey of 13 pounds
- 4 oz unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped into dice
- 6 celery stalks with leaves, chopped into dice
- 16 oz of mold bread, chopped into dice
- ⅓ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp of celery salt
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 ¼ cups turkey stock
- NOTE: The quantities are measured by a 6kg turkey, but you can use a larger turkey and raise the amount of the stuffing ingredients.
It was a long time ago that I did not do a Stuffed turkey for Thanksgiving for different reasons like my husband’s business trips or visits to our reseptive parents, but this year I felt like going back to try one cook and publish it in my humble online recipe book to share it with whomever. While this Stuffed turkey for Thanksgiving is not super special, it’s good enough for your family to suck their fingers off the delicious.
See how to cook these Stuffed turkey for Thanksgiving:
1. Make sure the insides are already removed or in a bag inside so you can reserve them. It makes your life much easier. Wash the turkey well, removing any feathers and let it dry.
2. Preheat oven to medium heat (around 300°F/150°C)). While it is drying, make the filling: in a frying pan, heat the butter. Put the onion and the celery, cover and cook, moving it from time to time until it is soft – about 15 or 20 minutes.
3. Transfer the vegetables to a large bowl. Add the cubes of bread, parsley, celery salt, thyme, rosemary, sage, salt, and pepper. Mix with 1 ¼ cups hot broth.
4. Now, put a slit on top of a baking sheet and brush it with a little oil. Here we put the turkey.
5. Fill the cavity of the turkey with the filling. We close the neck cavity. Brush the turkey with butter and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Cover the turkey breast with aluminum foil, leaving the wings, thighs, and legs exposed.
6. While cooking, light the turkey with its juices every 40 minutes. Do this 4 times while the turkey cooks 4 hours. In the final hour, remove the aluminum foil from the breast and fried it.
7. It is done when the thermometer reads 180°F/80C on the thigh, and the stuffing 170F/75°C.
8. Remove the turkey from the oven and transfer to a source where let it cool for about 20 minutes before cut and serve.
9. With a tablespoon, remove the filling and serve it next to the turkey.